Wednesday, April 11, 2012

HAM AND CHEESE QUICHE




This is the third meal prepared from the Easter Ham! My FAVORITE cookbook is TREASURY OF GREAT RECIPES by Mary and Vincent Price. Yes, the actor! He was a gourmet and in this book (circa 1960's) he traveled the world, ate at the great restaurants, procured their recipes and told the history of the restaurant. You will find it fascinating...especially the menus and prices! My Quiche recipe comes from this book...tweeked and adjusted for whatever ingredients I have on hand. For vegetarians, omit meat and use all veggies. I never make crusts because I tend to like keeping my teeth! My kids always used to ask if I made it or bought it! Two of the granddaughters loved it on sight and smell. Third was-I don't like it. After she tasted it -it was-"wow Nanny this is really good." She HATES asparagus and thought it was broccoli--I didn't correct her! I also like to add to quiches-fresh spinach, sweet onions(sautee before adding), cra, slices of fresh tomatoes and a variety of cheeses. Share your experiences with me!

Ham and Asparagus Quiche
1 refrigerator pie crust (or your own if you make them!) in 9" pie pan
1/2 cup diced ham
8 spears of cooked asparagus, cut up
2 1/12 cups shredded gruyere or swiss cheese
1/8 cup diced spring onion tops (or chives)
7 eggs, whipped
1 cup milk or cream
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp dry mustard

Preheat oven to 425. Bake pie crust for8 min. Lower oven to 350. Remove from oven, layer aparagus, ham, onion, cheese on crust. Combine together eggs and milk, with spices added. Pour over cheese mixture. Place pie on a cookie sheet. Place in oven. Bake 45 min til browned and firm. Test by sticking knife in middle-if comes out clean, done. Remove from oven. Serve with a salad and rolls. A glass of vino is always nice too! Serves 4-6

TIP: Let sit 5-10 min to make cutting easier

Buon appetito

No comments:

Post a Comment