Wednesday, March 14, 2012

My moms Potato Salad-Southern style

 Creating Memories-Mom's Potato Salad

Hello Foodies!
Ever have a memory hit you when you are cooking? I had one today when I was making Potato Salad. I tasted my Potato Salad and had a memory of making it with my mom in our house in Temple Hills MD. We were having her annual Office picnic in our back yard! So vivid a memory! That was at least 40 years ago! I love her potato salad. Come to find out after watching a TV show, it is a recipe from the south-specifically Georgia. We lived in Valdosta in the late 50's when Dad was stationed at Moody AFB! I am guessing that is where she picked it up since she was born and raised in Pennsylvania!

Here is the recipe for Mom-Rita Walter's Potato Salad
In a pot, put in 8 medium red potatoes, 5 eggs. Cover with water- boil til potatoes are done (20-30 min). Careful to not overcook taters so you don't have mashed potato salad! Drain, cover in cold running water til cooled down, remove potato jackets, cut potatoes into bitesize . Peel eggs, dice up. Add potatoes and eggs to bowl with celery mixture.
In a large bowl,
4 stalks celery, diced
1 small onion, minced
 1/4 cup pickle relish (more or less to taste)

Mix together in a jar or small bowl- shake or whisk til mixed
1/2 cup of each-Mayo and Miracle Whip (add more of these if needed)
1 tsp white vinegar
2-3-Tbs yellow mustard

Fold into potato  mixture. Garnish with sliced eggs, celery hearts and paprika. Refrigerate til chilled.

Buon Appetito!

I HAVE MADE IT EASY TO MAKE COMMENTS ON THIS SITE. FOLLOW ME TO GET UPDATES BY CLICKING THE FOLLOW BUTTON UPPER LEFT IN THIS SITE.

1 comment:

  1. Was lucky enough to have this Potato Salad last night. It was awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete